Tuesday, October 13, 2009

must_learn_German

For someone who is not fond of pork (ya'all may remember that from previous posts), I just had a very close encounter with a pig stomach. I must learn the language, and quick, or I am going to ingest something disgusting, or deadly.

I was happily planning on making split pea soup to eat for a cold October meal, and thought I would add some flavor with a bit of ham. Well, having never bought ham, I do not have a lot of experience in this department. So, I picked out something that looked smoked, and like a hunk of bacon, and bought it.

I was please with myself for having ventured out of my normal food routine after smelling delicious pea soup at a local pottery fair this weekend. From my Joy of Cooking recipe, I acknowledged the benefits the added flavor of ham added, and thought, "why not, I am in the land of pork after all".

After measuring out the peas and water and putting it all on to boil, I started to add my ham. I decided to pull out my dictionary first to read exactly what kind of ham this was. Well I could guess that rauchen is smoked, but I did not know what geräucherterbauch was. Well, turns out, Bauch is stomach and what I had indeed bought was smoked pork stomach!

This concludes my adventures in pork purchasing and has moved me one more step back into my old vegetarian life. I am sure that there is nothing wrong with pork stomach, but for me, I prefer my pea soup as is. Maybe I will add some onions and call it a day!

1 comment:

  1. Elisabeth-
    Sounds so disgusting, but the "Bauch" is just the belly, not actually the stomach-stomach. That is the same type of meat that bacon, pancetta, and salt pork come from. Don't ask me how I know so much about this! :) So you weren't about to eat an organ,... not that it makes it any more pleasant. It is meat afterall!
    The nastiest thing I ever saw and thankfully never tried in Bavaria was the rye bread sandwich made with bacon grease(the sole ingredient smeared between the bread)... oh yes... such a thing exists and is relished by the locals. :) I guess many things we eat would disgust them, too.. but that was over the top for me! -Carrie Ziser

    ReplyDelete