Monday, August 3, 2009

Always look on the bright side of life, tra la




It is not always so easy to see the glass half full.

I really wish I had a constant sunny approach to life like some people I know, but I have found it hard to see things brightly these last few days, mainly because of my kids.

Noah and Louise are not particularly happy right now. They are missing their friends deeply. They are tired of living out of their suitcases, without their toys and books to keep them amused. And they long for their own beds! It has been 46 days of "transition" so far (but we are not really counting), and the end is still at least 2 weeks away, if we are lucky (our ship is due to come in on the 13th of August, but we will have to wait for customs to release our household goods, which may take another week after that).

I have to say though, that my kids have been real troopers. When we walked an extra mile or so to the car dealership, just to find it closed, they did not complain. When the rain poured down and we did not have our umbrellas, and we decided to skip the zoo, they happily went to McDonalds instead. Yes, I have resorted to McDonalds as a comfort for them, and will continue to do so as long as necessary.

It is hard to carry the burden of my children's joy, or lack thereof, and keep a smile on my face as we head out the door for another day of exploration. I am trying to keep a "we are camping approach" to it all. Meaning, lots to discover, creating our own fun, but not quite home.

Going out to buy a puzzle and a new book really help sometimes, and apple cake, and our daily ice cream treats are a must.

We did discover a wonderful water park this weekend, only a bus ride away. And even though the icy water took my breath away, I dove in and swam for hours watching my kids laugh and splash, just like at home.

No, we are not quite settled yet, and each day is a little bit different, and not always very fun, but we still manage to remember that we have each other and our adventure is what we make of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment